Re: ?? Functional Dependency Question ??

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 00:36:34 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> ... Is there a
> difference between functional dependency and implication that I need to
> learn?

Just a not very well read guess, but I'd think no important difference for practitioners as long as they don't try to record negations, which is be confusing anyway, at least for me. Always seemed more than coincidence that the usual ascii fd notation was reminiscent of both notions. I seem to recall wondering years ago why the db design IDE's of the time, at least the ones I saw, didn't have a simple feature that would let one validate fd's one had in mind. Seemed to me that most of the time they wouldn't be affected by explosive execution times if they emulated truth tables rather than try to cleverly compile axioms and theorems. All very vague I know but the sun and the plonk are shining here on the west coast. Hope it's not just the sulphites. Received on Sun Oct 19 2008 - 02:36:34 CEST

Original text of this message