Re: Proper multi-users design

From: Walter Mitty <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:52:08 GMT

"Ael" <> wrote in message news:vvlJk.551382$
> Hello,
> I've inherited a single user application using a database (multiple
> backends : Postgres, Firebird, Oracle) and need to bring it on par for
> multi-users access.
> Right now each DB operation (fetch a structure, update a record, ...) is
> embedded in its own transaction, and I'm not really sure where to begin.
> I'm not really looking for a specific DBMS procedure (that I can figure
> out
> myself), but more for a generic best practices/how-to implementing proper
> multi-users access.
> I've searched a bit, but apart from the generic optimistic/pessim. locking
> mechanisms available and transaction isolation did not find anything
> worthwhile. Is my best bet to rework everything to _really_ use
> transactions ?
> Do you have any links, articles or books to recommend ?
> Thanks in advance,

Where are you starting from? Do you know what the acronym ACID stands for with regard to transaction management and concurrency control? Do you have the information needed to determine what the minimal binding between actions and transactions must be in each of your applications? Are you planning on implementing on all of the current back ends? Do you know how to cope with concurrency, deadlock, and bottleneck issues in each of those back ends?

Your task could be pretty straightforward, or monumental, depending on the specific situation. Received on Wed Oct 15 2008 - 15:52:08 CEST

Original text of this message