Re: A mysterious (but seemingly genuine) opportunity

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:58:33 -0500

DBMS_Plumber wrote:

> On Oct 14, 12:43 pm, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>> > The guy I spoke to was a lawyer who had found my name
>> > [...] by Googling "database" (!) and had bought [my book], which of
>> > course was impenetrable to him.
>
> Run. Away.
>
> Run. Away. Fast.
>
> How fast? Can you go any faster?
>
> Lawyer+Google+technology+evaluate=Flee!

As a rule of thumb that's not bad advice. But on the other hand, if this really is a lawyer attempting to do "due diligence" for a real investor, he *would* have contacted the person who asked me if I'd be interested. I am fascinated but I also know my own limitations.

If you think you might be able to make a good job of something like this, which might include helping the client establish your terms of reference before you ever do any kind of evaluation, then it should at least be worth talking to the guy.

Contact me offline at coddbotherer at googlemail dot c-o-m for a bit more background if you like.

--
Roy