Re: Why is database integrity so impopular ?

From: Tony Toews [MVP] <ttoews_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 02:43:41 GMT

eric.bouchardlefebvre_at_gmail.com wrote:

>What is wrong with modern DB design approaches? And what's the point
>of using a big relational DB without the benefits of integrity and
>normalization?

Probably because the talented people at the software vendors are the sales droids. The system was originally designed by someone who didn't have a clue and they managed to sell a few copies and kept on going. Any competent database or developers or systems analyst types likely didn't stay very long either. And management is cracking the whips on generally mediocre people to get the product out as quickly as they can. "To heck with bugs. It's features that count."

So how's that for generalizing? <smile>

I really enjoy reading the WTF and other similar blogs for such stories. And then there's comp.risks where mistakes have killed people.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.