Re: Why is database integrity so impopular ?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 02:21:36 GMT

eric.bouchardlefebvre_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When time comes to build transactional databases (as opposed to data
> wharehouses), I belong to the school that STRONGLY believe in
> normalizing data with high integrity mechanisms. I know all the
> performance cons but IMHO, pros largely overwhelme.
>
> It amazes me, though, how many systems rely on the application to
> manage data integrity. I work as IT director for a large-size
> manufacturer and *none* of our applications use integrity. And I am
> talking here of ERP and other mission-critical systems.
>
> In fact, I had rarely open a database properly normalized and
> inforced ... and I have been working with databases for over 10 years,
> mostly in sectors where lack of integrity can result in dramatic
> consequences.
>
> What is wrong with modern DB design approaches? And what's the point
> of using a big relational DB without the benefits of integrity and
> normalization?
>
> Thank you,
> EBL
Integrity is rare in general. When it comes to db's, even rarer, partly because of pressures on naif's to deliver faster on machines that would be faster than needed if only people took the time to determine the essential requirements of systems. Received on Mon Oct 06 2008 - 04:21:36 CEST

Original text of this message