Re: Non-text database theory

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:05:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 5, 2:12 pm, Rune Allnor <all..._at_tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 5 Sep, 19:24, jefftyzzer <jefftyz..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 5, 2:26 am, Rune Allnor <all..._at_tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> > > Hi all.
>
> > > This might be off topic for this group; if so please direct me to a
> > > more
> > > appropriate group.
>
> > > I have 20 years of programming experience (hobby / personal scale)
> > > and
> > > am getting my feet wet with databases for the first time. The project
> > > at
> > > hand needs a database to handle large amounts of data. The data are
> > > measured by sonar and amounts to the hundreds of GB, so one would
> > > prefer to save the data on some binary format to save time on the
> > > text <-> binary conversions.
>
> > > The textbooks I have found on database theory solely deal with text
> > > data, i.e. data that are stored as tables in text files, which I
> > > suppose
> > > is OK for educational purposes.
>
> > > 1) Where can I find material on 'real-life' databases which deal with
> > > the
> > >    storage and handling of binary data?
> > > 2) Are there database implementations which are better suited for my
> > >    application than others? I would like to keep the application
> > > platform
> > >    independent, and use C++ as my programming language.
>
> > > Rune
>
> > Hmmm...there's virtually no limit to the kinds of data a modern RDBMS
> > can store, particularly with the extended type capabilities that came
> > along with the object-relational wave of the last decade. The RMoD
> > certainly doesn't circumscribe (data) types.
>
> I'm a total nephyte on the subject; acronyms are foreign to me.
> RDBMS = Relational DataBase Management System...?
> RMoD = ?
>
> > Anyway, although it sounds like your textbook is using textual
> > attributes in its examples, RDBMSs are quite capable of efficiently
> > storing and allowing you to manipulate binary data. Are you speaking
> > of sonar *images* here, or some other, more fine-grained, measurement?
>
> It's anything and everything. Lots of data, measurements and
> information flowing all over the place; keeping track is a
> full-time job. Literally.
>
> > As to recommended books, I think for what you're working on, stepping
> > away from theory books (not in general, mind you!) and looking for
> > books that are specific to the RDBMS you're working with (which is, by
> > the way, what?) would take you farther on this specific question.
>
> Just looking at options for now. I know what need be done, the
> question is if there are good or bad ways of doing it.
>
> > For books that are more theory-oriented, perhaps _Databases, Types and
> > the Relational Model_ by Date would be of interest to you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rune

For specific products I was going to suggest PROGRESS, but it looks like they abandoned their database product. (I guess that happens when you haven't looked at a product for over 10 years.)

Still it may be useful to search some of the vendor sites to see if they have something that does what you want. HTH,
  ed Received on Mon Sep 22 2008 - 22:05:52 CEST

Original text of this message