Re: sequential disk read speed

From: DBMS_Plumber <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 22, 7:13 am, -CELKO- <jcelko..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> Why can a disk only read 64KB at a time? Is this a valid assumption?  Is this a disk limitation or a file system limitation? <<
> What you might consider is the rise of solid state storage, which will
> start replacing moving disk hardware in the next few years.  This with
> multi-core processors will change database design radically.   We work
> in a trade where everything you know is wrong in five years :)

You know, though? I've been hearing about the immanent arrival of solid state storage for about 10 years now. As fast as they get their price/performance point down, the disk boys/girls drop theirs too.

Mebbe this time things will be different .... Received on Fri Sep 05 2008 - 22:41:30 CEST

Original text of this message