Non-text database theory

From: Rune Allnor <allnor_at_tele.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 02:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all.

This might be off topic for this group; if so please direct me to a more
appropriate group.

I have 20 years of programming experience (hobby / personal scale) and
am getting my feet wet with databases for the first time. The project at
hand needs a database to handle large amounts of data. The data are
measured by sonar and amounts to the hundreds of GB, so one would prefer to save the data on some binary format to save time on the text <-> binary conversions.

The textbooks I have found on database theory solely deal with text data, i.e. data that are stored as tables in text files, which I suppose
is OK for educational purposes.

  1. Where can I find material on 'real-life' databases which deal with the storage and handling of binary data?
  2. Are there database implementations which are better suited for my application than others? I would like to keep the application platform independent, and use C++ as my programming language.

Rune Received on Fri Sep 05 2008 - 11:26:39 CEST

Original text of this message