Re: books on database implementation

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 02:18:29 GMT

Brendan wrote:
> What are the best books on relational database implementation, and by
> this I do not mean how to design your database schema, but how to
> write an actual database, what the on disk data structures would be
> like, caching, how to implement transactions, etc.
>
> I'm having a hard time finding information on this subject, because
> related searches tend to come up with material on "how to write your
> CRUD web app" or at best database theory books, although I suppose the
> theory books would also be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan

Implementation books were rare twenty years ago so I'm not surprised they apparently still are. (The few I vaguely remember were also not read by many people and went out of print quickly.) It might help if you stated your purpose, eg., just for illumination or because you want to write something. (If the latter, reading the little that's generally available might just lead to re-inventing some pretty mediocre wheel or other whereas working up your requirements from various points of view such as language features, concepts such as whether you intend to define keys up front or just cop out with a keyword, concurrency, recovery strategy and so forth might then point you to more specific material in the many papers that can be found with a bit of search work.) Received on Fri Aug 29 2008 - 04:18:29 CEST

Original text of this message