Re: books on database implementation

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 1:08 pm, Brendan <catph..._at_catphive.net> wrote:
> What are the best books on relational database implementation, and by
> this I do not mean how to design your database schema, but how to
> write an actual database, what the on disk data structures would be
> like, caching, how to implement transactions, etc.

A nit pick... You want to know "how to write an actual DBMS", not "how to write an actual database". In fact a DBMS writes an actual database - not a human! You need to ask for the best books on RDBMS implementation, not RDB implementation.

I'm interested in this subject myself. It's a huge subject area - particularly when one gets into query optimisation.

I've found Jim Gray's work worth a read. Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 08:12:56 CEST

Original text of this message