Re: Multiple tables refer to one -To use foreign keys or not?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:12:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 2, 2:01 am, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto..._at_telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Gene Wirchenko <ge..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
> >>Bob has marked my postings to be ignored so he won't read my reply. As far as I
> >>know he is the only person who has ever kill filed me in the newsgroups. Judging by
> >>his other replies though I view his action as a badge of honour and worthy of
> >>distinction.
>
> > Why how precious. Plonked.
>
> I've now been plonked by two people in this newsgroup. Whoohooo!!

I gotta be honest, I couldn't see the relevance of you response to the OP's question. Roy's and Adrian's responses were good pointers, while the general warning away from EAV by everyone else was also apt. I'm not sure how your personal anecdote contributed to his trying to reference multiple relations from the same foreign key.

> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

To the OP - have you considered just using different tables for the attachments? Sure attachments are all of the same type but relations don't collectivize objects (a common misconception that has to be shaken off when moving from OO to RM). Relations collectivize propositions of a common form - and yours seem to be different.

Regards, J. Received on Thu Aug 21 2008 - 02:12:48 CEST

Original text of this message