Re: Guessing?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:01:56 -0400

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:7302ef07-2063-46f7-b88d-dc5d2a188194_at_b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> On Jul 25, 10:57 am, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

>> "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message

>> > Well I'm not sure what the CWA actually means...
>>
>> The way I understand it, CWA is simply:
>>
>> If there ain't no row, then it ain't so.
>>
>> What that means is if there is a tuple that conforms to a relation's
>> schema,
>> but isn't in the relation, then the formula that the tuple embodies is
>> false. For example, if you have a domain of players,
>>
>> Players {Bill, Bob, Joe, John, Mike, George, Raymond, Brian, Mark, Frank}
>>
>> and a relation for the property of being on the team,
>>
>> OnTheTeam {{Joe}, {John}, {Mike}, {Raymond}, {Mark}}
>>
>> Then due to the closed world assumption we can infer that neither
>>
>> Bill, Bob, George, Brian nor Frank are on the team.
>>
>> The first order sentence,
>>
>> Exists x in Players OnTheTeam(x)
>> extends to the disjunction
>>
>> OnTheTeam(Bill) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Bob) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Joe) \/
>> OnTheTeam(John) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Mike) \/
>> OnTheTeam(George) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Raymond) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Brian) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Mark) \/
>> OnTheTeam(Frank)
>>
>> where
>>
>> OnTheTeam(Joe)
>> OnTheTeam(John)
>> OnTheTeam(Mike)
>> OnTheTeam(Raymond)
>> OnTheTeam(Mark)
>>
>> each evaluates to true, and
>>
>> OnTheTeam(Bill)
>> OnTheTeam(Bob)
>> OnTheTeam(George)
>> OnTheTeam(Brian)
>> OnTheTeam(Frank)
>>
>> each evaluates to false.
>
> Given relation r, let X(r) be the boolean valued characteristic
> function of r.
>
> Consider the following definitions
>
> 1.  OnTheTeam_r :  the relation value recorded by the DB
> 2.  OnTheTeam_i :  the internal predicate recorded by the DB
> 3.  OnTheTeam_e : the external predicate meant to represent reality
>
> Is CWA associated with saying:
>
> a)  OnTheTeam_i = X(OnTheTeam_r)  or
> b)  OnTheTeam_i = OnTheTeam_e?
>
> You appear to suggest CWA implies both a) and b).  Is that right?

The closed world assumption involves what can be proved rather than what something means; an external predicate involves what something means; therefore, the closed world assumption is not associated with saying b). On the other hand, it is associated with saying:

c) OnTheTeam_i --> OnTheTeam_e

since whenever ~OnTheTeam_e, ~OnTheTeam_i. Received on Thu Jul 31 2008 - 04:01:56 CEST

Original text of this message