Re: satisfies algorithm

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:12:15 -0400

"David Portas" <> wrote in message
> "Brian Selzer" <> wrote in message
>> Yes. Normalize. A schema that is in BCNF does not have any nontrivial
>> functional dependencies where the determinant is not also a key. Where
>> there is a key, there should also be a unique index of some sort, making
>> it impossible for there to be two tuples with the same determinant.
> Unique indexes have nothing to do with keys. A key is a logical construct
> whereas an index is merely one possible physical structure used by some
> DBMSs. A key does not require an index.

Keys have the uniqueness property. Don't you agree that the uniqueness property should be enforced by whatever implementation is chosen? I think you would be hard pressed with today's technology to find a more efficient implementation method to enforce the uniqueness property than maintaining an index--especially when a relation has more than one key. Received on Sat Jul 26 2008 - 08:12:15 CDT

Original text of this message