Re: Modeling question...

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:45:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 25, 3:33 pm, Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn..._at_ieee.org> wrote:
> JOG schrieb:

> >> I got that. :-)
> >> But "we want to be able to create and delete attributes" is a customer
> >> requirement. I think it's different from "I am too lazy to do a proper data
> >> model". There are plenty of "normal" attributes left to model ERD like.
>
> >> Lots of Greetings!
> >> Volker
> >> --
> >> For email replies, please substitute the obvious.
>
> > What's wrong with drop/add column?
>
> All the things that are wrong if an application requires DDL during its normal
> state. No undo, no scalability, limits on the number of attributes, limits on
> the structure of the attribute names, the same attributes in each
> project/pcb/etc. and so on.

If one is changing trying to change the attributes that entities possess, than one is necessarily altering the propositions that can be stated about them. This necessitates a change in relation predicates, which means it is absolutely a DDL issue. To think otherwise seems to somewhat miss the point of the relational model.

> Sorry, but in my opinion DDL is for installation and maintenance. End users
> shouldn't trigger DDL neither directly nor indirectly.

No need to be sorry. If you want to make the same EAV mistakes that countless have before you then that's up to you. All best, J.