Re: Guessing?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:57:01 -0400

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:8f91db82-8f47-40b4-be47-d54eb4451e91_at_v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
> On Jul 24, 9:25 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

>> "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message

>> > A relation is formally defined as a set of tuples.  Nothing more!
>>
>> There are several definitions, but that is neither here nor there.
>> Relations were chosen because they look and behave a lot like the
>> extensions
>> of first order predicates.  Of course the extension of a predicate
>> includes
>> both positive and negative formulae, but the closed world assumption
>> enables
>> the elimination of the negative formulae.
>

> Well I'm not sure what the CWA actually means...

The way I understand it, CWA is simply:

If there ain't no row, then it ain't so.

What that means is if there is a tuple that conforms to a relation's schema, but isn't in the relation, then the formula that the tuple embodies is false. For example, if you have a domain of players,

Players {Bill, Bob, Joe, John, Mike, George, Raymond, Brian, Mark, Frank}

and a relation for the property of being on the team,

OnTheTeam {{Joe}, {John}, {Mike}, {Raymond}, {Mark}}

Then due to the closed world assumption we can infer that neither

Bill, Bob, George, Brian nor Frank are on the team.

The first order sentence,

Exists x in Players OnTheTeam(x)
extends to the disjunction

OnTheTeam(Bill)  \/