Re: Guessing?

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:25:39 -0400

"David BL" <> wrote in message
> On Jul 24, 10:56 am, "Brian Selzer" <> wrote:
>> > In a database encoding there is only a single defined interpretation
>> > of the encoded attributes as values in the RM formalism. Therefore
>> > there is no distinction between symbol and value that can be made.
>> I don't agree. Under the domain closure, unique name and closed world
>> assumptions, a database is a proposition that is supposed to be true.
>> How
>> the database is physically implemented is irrelevant.
> A relation is formally defined as a set of tuples. Nothing more!

There are several definitions, but that is neither here nor there. Relations were chosen because they look and behave a lot like the extensions of first order predicates. Of course the extension of a predicate includes both positive and negative formulae, but the closed world assumption enables the elimination of the negative formulae. Received on Thu Jul 24 2008 - 08:25:39 CDT

Original text of this message