Re: Guessing?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:03:50 -0300

JOG wrote:

> On Jul 23, 5:44 am, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
>

>>"JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>>There is no such thing as an image of an object. Different view of the
>>>world. Different objects altogether. RM is implicitly underpinned by
>>>this principal and hence its lack of row identifiers and use of keys
>>>(and again this accords with everyday evidence of how we refer to the
>>>world). It seems like you are still resolutely avoiding accepting this
>>>one - but hell, plato got this sort of thing completely wrong too so I
>>>guess at least you're in famous company (...although we do have 2
>>>millenia of combined knowledge on him now).
>>
>>I'm going to tell a story now,

<yawn>

<snip>

> What you describe is no evidence whatsoever of "images of objects".
> This is important as it may help your views concerning some need for
> row identifiers. Your story describes not one thing, but at least 4
> objects: A life, an unnamed person, a named person and a deceased
> person all with different properties. There is no one single child
> object in your story at all. And just because those things overlap
> doesn't make one any more important than another.

Why do you bother with his nonsense?

>>>A symbol is already defined as "something used for or regarded as
>>>representing something else".
>>
>>Yet symbols are not values.

As obvious a statement as it is pointless.

>>>Noone needs an imaginary concept of "images of objects", and so we
>>>equally don't need some curveball redefinition of "value" by which to
>>>refer to them.
>>
>>It is not an imaginary concept. A proposition paints a picture of the world
>>(under an interpretation, of course). The elements of that picture are
>>images or projections of what is in the world. Values.

> As I said, this is just the same "shadows on a wall" nonsense the
> dogmatic hand-waving philosophers of 2000 years ago espoused. Humans
> define what objects are

Now he's making you sound incoherent. His reply didn't say anything about objects. I strongly suggest you heed Date's _Principle of Incoherence_.

, they don't simply "exist" pre-packaged (the

> universe is there of course, but it is us that delineates it into
> objects). Taking your standpoint just leads to infamous paradoxes of
> identity, while mine never hits any such contradictions (and as such
> also generates good database design, which is the only reason I care
> about it).
>
> I will have to bow out because trying to explain this to you on usenet
> will be too frustrating and I'll lose my rag...at some point in the
> near future I'll link you to appropriate papers. Regards, J.

<snip> Received on Wed Jul 23 2008 - 15:03:50 CEST

Original text of this message