Re: Guessing?

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:10:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 12, 9:27 am, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Lately I have developed an allergic reaction to various ideas
> asserting
> that brains are somehow magical and mystical, and thought is
> something that we not only can't currently explain computationally,
> but never will be able to explain computationally. It's just bullshit.
>
> Earlier you mentioned "What Computers Still Can't Do."
>
> Reading for example this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Computers_Can%27t_Do
>
> I see no argument that doesn't amuse me with its lameness.

I find the strong AI hypothesis interesting - ie the question of whether it is possible in principle for a computer to be conscious or self aware.

I agree that some of the arguments against strong AI are very lame. For example Searle says a simulation of mind is not the same thing as mind in the same way that a simulation of a hurricane is not the same thing as a hurricane. But if mind is computation, isn't a simulation of a computation just an isomorphic computation?

My guess is that the strong AI hypothesis is true but the repercussions are quite astounding. If mind is computable then it follows that there exists Turing Machines representing worlds with self aware substructures (SASs) as complex as ourselves. Presumably many SASs would be tricked into believing in a distinction between platonic existence and their apparent physical existence. By application of Occam's Razor I would argue that the (mystical) postulate of our own physical existence should be dropped in favour of a less presumptuous platonic existence. That's ironic because most people would say belief in physical existence is less mystical than belief in platonic existence - but each to their own!

The best argument against strong AI that I've seen is the White Rabbit Paradox, which basically says that if we are merely computation, in the multiverse of all possible mathematical realities or computations why don't we see bizarre things happen like white rabbits appear out of nowhere. However there is a possible resolution based on "probability" (or measure) theories on infinite ensembles. However to really be taken seriously the researchers in this area need to explain our laws of physics. I do find their simplified explanations of some of the bizarre features of Quantum Mechanics interesting - the Many Worlds Interpretation of QM seems a natural fit with the ultimate ensemble theory. However I'm not sure whether they even have an explanation of why Hilbert spaces over complex numbers are so important.

Anyway I don't think there has been any compelling argument either for or against strong AI. Received on Sat Jul 12 2008 - 06:10:35 CEST

Original text of this message