Re: Guessing?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 11, 3:30 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> [Snip]
> >> To be sure, Wittgenstein argues that words have meaning, and they do,
>
> > No, he clarifies his everyday use of the term "have" by specifying
> > that he is positing that meaning is "correlated" to a word - that
> > meaning is conferred /upon/ words.
>
> That's not how I read it, but it's not worth fighting about.

I hope you can take my word for it for now then. Wittgenstein goes on from this basis to conclude that meaning and knowledge cannot be encoded in any formal representation (i.e. first order logic, hence absolutely recanting much of the work he did with russell in his youth). This is a very important conclusion for databases as they contain formal representations by definition. Dreyfus echoed this but was widely ignored in the "AI winter" of expert systems and descriptive models.