Re: Insurance data models...any tips on good starting point?

From: Evan Keel <evankeel_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:33:13 -0400

"aai_jj" <jjohnson_at_grafikchaos.com> wrote in message news:3b272948-42c1-457e-b964-72a2afc637bc_at_y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
> We have a client that has the typical online quote generator but is
> looking to revamp that process and tie it in with other services he
> can sell to other insurance clients. The application is still in its
> infancy but could have the potential of blowing up in our face if we
> don't plan accordingly.
>
> The old website used a fairly simple RDB with a lot of array
> manipulation done by the developers, but we'd like to make it a little
> more object-oriented, maybe even consider an EAV modeling approach to
> allow for the growth.
>
> Are there any insurance data models out there to start from or is
> anybody willing to share their experience on similar projects?
>
> Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I inherited an EAV database and here are the cons:

  • Since there were no semantics in the model (model?) only the original designers really understood it.
  • Forget about straight-forward, set based SQL.
  • Once up and running redesign is expensive and will never happen. So you will live with this design flaw forever.

Pros:
I'll have to get back to you. Received on Fri Jul 11 2008 - 15:33:13 CEST

Original text of this message