Re: Insurance data models...any tips on good starting point?

From: Evan Keel <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:33:13 -0400

"aai_jj" <> wrote in message
> We have a client that has the typical online quote generator but is
> looking to revamp that process and tie it in with other services he
> can sell to other insurance clients. The application is still in its
> infancy but could have the potential of blowing up in our face if we
> don't plan accordingly.
> The old website used a fairly simple RDB with a lot of array
> manipulation done by the developers, but we'd like to make it a little
> more object-oriented, maybe even consider an EAV modeling approach to
> allow for the growth.
> Are there any insurance data models out there to start from or is
> anybody willing to share their experience on similar projects?
> Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

I inherited an EAV database and here are the cons:

  • Since there were no semantics in the model (model?) only the original designers really understood it.
  • Forget about straight-forward, set based SQL.
  • Once up and running redesign is expensive and will never happen. So you will live with this design flaw forever.

I'll have to get back to you. Received on Fri Jul 11 2008 - 15:33:13 CEST

Original text of this message