Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 09:58:59 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 juil, 17:46, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 6 juil, 15:43, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> > [Snipped]
>
> >> What has that to do with it?
> > Everything. Why do you want to place the burden of data interpretation
> > on people at run time. What is the point designing systems to present
> > information to people if they have to spend hours guessing what it
> > means?
>
> I would place the burden of data interpretation on people because it is only
> people that can interpret data.
OK but do they need to do it at run time. What would be the point of design then?

> Why would they have to spend hours? Hopefully any system would present
> enough complete information to obviate most guesses, but for the rest, given
> a choice between being given a potentially wrong answer and being told that
> the information is incomplete, I (and most people I know) would prefer the
> latter, even if it required a little extra effort on my part.
But then, following this logic and the 8 item weigth example, the system would then require the information that the sum is relevant only up to 8 items to be available to people for them to make *educated* guesses. Don't you think that makes things more complicated? Most people I know would tell you, you did a poor design job and that they don't need this irrelevant information. Received on Sun Jul 06 2008 - 18:58:59 CEST

Original text of this message