Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 23:25:27 -0400

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:6ad51b62-e66a-4daa-b21c-c361fd6b22f8_at_8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> What can be meaningfully asked is determined by the schema.
>
> If the schema specifies that the weight attribute is nullable,
> then the question of how much a shipment weighs in total
> is a question that cannot be asked.
>

> Marshall

I would agree except that in the exceptional case where all of the weights have been supplied, the question can be answered. That's why I would return NULL for SUM except in such execptional cases. That way you get an indeterminate result exactly when the result cannot be determined. Received on Sat Jul 05 2008 - 05:25:27 CEST

Original text of this message