Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:14:13 -0400

>"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>JOG wrote:

>>>I have a different take:
>>>
>>>A value has no value except that which is assigned to it under an
>>>interpretation: a value is not the output of just /any/ function, but
>>>rather
>>>/the/ function that maps language terms to what those terms mean.
>>
>> that's similar to what I said no? value + description?
>>

>>>Information is just one or more values.
>>
>> so you don't incorporate a "meaning" into information? I don't think I
>> could agree with you there.
>>

>>>A datum is simply a formatted value that cannot be broken down into a
>>>collection of component values that means the same thing.
>>>
>>>Data is just formatted information.
>
>JOG, in case you hadn't noticed, Selzer is just making shit up as he goes
>along.

JOG, in case you hadn't noticed, Badour, being incapable of independent thought, is just envious of those of us who aren't. The function that maps terms of a language to objects in the Universe of Discourse has been referenced and described by many. While I haven't before seen "value" defined as just the output of that particular function, it all just falls into place for me, since every value carries with it some sense or meaning and that particular function is integral to the process of attributing meaning to language elements or combinations of language elements. Received on Fri Jul 04 2008 - 14:14:13 CEST

Original text of this message