Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:56:18 -0300

JOG wrote:

> On Jul 3, 8:00 pm, Bob Badour <> wrote:

>>JOG wrote:
>>>I normally accord to the definitions:
>>>information = datum + meaning
>>>datum = value + description
>>>These are useful, succinct and accord nicely with [ISO 2382-1:1984]:
>>>“Data: A representation of facts, concepts, or instructions in a
>>>normalized manner suitable for communication, interpretation, or
>>>processing by humans or by automatic means”, while giving something a
>>>bit more formalized in terms of data theory.
>>>In terms of defining value both the output of a function or the
>>>element of a set seem fine, but then defining a value as being some
>>>amount or quantity also seems fine.
>>Not all values are quantitative.
> really? Hmmm. I suppose so. A value as a symbol used to refer to some
> aspect of the real world might be better. It's certainly a tough one.

I disagree. A symbol is a representation of a value; it is not the value itself.

Data types do not have to be orders--not even partial orders. They can be orders, and they can be quantitative, but they need not be.

A video data type is not quantitative; although, one would expect a video data type to have lots of operations with quantitative results as well as operations with non-quantitative results. Received on Thu Jul 03 2008 - 21:56:18 CDT

Original text of this message