Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 3, 7:21 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> It's not a value. It is, however, a datum.

Do you have a definition for "value"? I only ask because you're the sort of person who might. I regularly recall your (ISO?) definition for data; I have found that very useful.

My personal definition for "value" is something like a member of a set, specifically a member of a domain. I'm less happy with that as time goes by. There's an interesting mathematical definition for "value" that gave me a bit of a surprise when I first saw it:

"The quantity which a function f takes upon application to a given quantity."

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Value.html

In other words, value is something that is just a member of the range of a function. Still seems odd.

Do you have a definition for "information"?

Here's a good definition of "information":

"a formal criminal charge made without a grand jury indictment by a prosecutor in a document."

OK maybe that's not so good for our purposes.

Marshall Received on Thu Jul 03 2008 - 17:11:51 CEST

Original text of this message