Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:44:05 -0700 (PDT)

>> Once again you are introducing confusion, in this case muddying the waters with unstated design questions, confusing a system that is designed to anticipate suppliers and bills with one that isn't. <<

Do you really find that a credit balance is not a common business practice? What I am pointing out is that a zero is a value on a scale and a NULL or other missing value indicators is not. Would you like to go into Codd's A and I markers?

Instead of rudely ranting about illiteracy (while misspelling "tomorrow"), show us how to indicate when a $0.00 payment is a credit balance on an actual billing or a lack of a payment on a non-existent billing. The only thing that comes to mind is a flag of some kind which splits the single scalar value over two or more columns in violation of 1NF and leads to user-defined behaviors rather than guaranteed consistent behaviors. Received on Wed Jul 02 2008 - 10:44:05 CDT

Original text of this message