Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

>> If you have a bag that can contain peaches, but doesn't, then the answer to the question "How many peaches are in the bag?" is clearly zero. If you are asked by the accountant, "How much were we billed by AT&T this month?" but AT&T didn't send a bill, then the answer is clearly zero. <<

No, the accountant is going to ask "When the !$^_at_# hell did we get an account with AT&T?!" That particular example is near and dear to my heart; AT&T created a commercial account for me which they first charged $0.00 at set up. When I did not object -- I had just started a home computer line with them and -- they took it out ~$750 from m checking account without my permission.

When the gas gauge of my car says zero, that is an actual measurement using a ratio scale with a natural origin point. When I talk about putting gas in my Lamborghini, it makes just as much sense to talk about putting -10 liters into the gas tank. When something does not exist, then you can say anything.

Basic logic:
1) A false premise can imply a true or a false conclusion. 2) A true premise can only imply a true conclusion. Received on Mon Jun 30 2008 - 23:23:28 CEST

Original text of this message