Re: Examples of SQL anomalies?

From: paul c <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:15:56 GMT

Rob wrote:
> "Beginning with the introduction of the Relational Model in 1970 [Codd
> 1970],
> all approaches to relational system design have been entity oriented
> -- that
> is, oriented to the representation of entities. Relationships are
> unnamed and
> for the most part, invisible. ...

Not to disparage the rest of the website (because I haven't read it) but I'd say the above has got things reversed. In Codd's model, it is entities that are invisible, ie., only visible in the eye of the beholder, in spite of the many mystical posts to the contrary in this newsgroup over the years from those who see things that aren't there (as opposed to people who can see things that ought to be there). Whereas at least in Codd's first two or three papers that are more or less universally considered seminal, he talks of pretty much nothing but relationships, named relationships at that. They are his essential programmer's interface for gosh sake! - and so are necessarily visible. Received on Sun Jun 29 2008 - 01:15:56 CEST

Original text of this message