Re: POOD and the Unique Name Assumption

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:55:25 -0400

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:ee93cf13-2424-44d1-a08b-bc3292077b83_at_u36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 10, 5:05 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
>> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I guess I don't really know what this "Unique Name Assumption" is.
>>
>> The Unique Name Assumption ensures that whenever two names are different,
>> the objects they represent must also be different.
>
> What is motivation for such an assumption? It doesn't seem to hold in
> any formal system I can think of.

The Unique Name assumption, when combined with the Closed World and Domain Closure assumptions provides the basis for answering negative queries and queries that involve counts. For example, if you issue a query like

"How many widgets are blue?"

against a relation containing widget names and colors, but widget names do not follow the unique name assumption, then more than one widget name could reference the same widget, and thus even though the names are unique, the number of widgets could be completely different than the number of widget names. Consequently, you can't rely on the answer without the Unique Name Assumption. A query like,

"How many widgets are not blue?"

can be answered only when all three assumptions are in effect. The Domain Closure Assumption and Closed World Assumptions make it possible to determine which widget names denote and which widget names that denote are associated with a color that is not blue, but it is only under the Unique Name Assumption that the actual count of widgets that are not blue can be calculated.