Re: Postel's law

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:32:53 -0700

Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> On May 23, 10:21 pm, Gene Wirchenko <ge..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
>> > Joel Spolsky said it well:
>> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/03/17.html
>
>Good article.

     Quite.

> Should we conclude this was a result of the law of unintended
>consequences?

     Yes. It is a case of making it easier in the beginning and building up a huge technical debt. How would you deal with the situation? Maybe, you have an answer, but I do not think there is a simple answer now that will not break a lot of stuff.

> Or is HTML development an example of misapplying a rule (Postel's
>Law)?

     I think Postel's Law is shortsighted.

>Something for comp.risks?

     Yes. I have just submitted it.