Re: Postel's law

From: Gene Wirchenko <>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:32:53 -0700

Ed Prochak <> wrote:

>> On May 23, 10:21 pm, Gene Wirchenko <> wrote:
>> > Joel Spolsky said it well:
>> >
>Good article.

> Should we conclude this was a result of the law of unintended

     Yes. It is a case of making it easier in the beginning and building up a huge technical debt. How would you deal with the situation? Maybe, you have an answer, but I do not think there is a simple answer now that will not break a lot of stuff.

> Or is HTML development an example of misapplying a rule (Postel's

     I think Postel's Law is shortsighted.

>Something for comp.risks?

     Yes. I have just submitted it.

Gene Wirchenko