An encouraging note to hopeless DBA's

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:48:33 -0700 (PDT)

Lately I found the following additional language extension libraries
(making a new language called SQL sharp) running on T-SQL (the SQL
version of SQL Server). The extensions use the CLR runtime from SQL Server to expand the capabilities of TSQL (but unfortunately not its expressive power)...

For instance, the extension allows to program a compression or file transfer protocol directly as a part of the native querying TSQL. The solution has the advantage of bringing an additional tool that helps limit the pain of SQL and/or the absurdity of stacking layers of additional applicative layers to get a functionnality involving heterogenous manipulations .

A case and tool for database practionners who promote data-centric approaches to limit the pain of Client Server architecture blunders.

We had a situation where we had the simple problem of sending the output of a poorly formatted SQL view to a specific FTP IP. As we usually expect from mainstream IT culture, the initial response from OO people was that the view needed to be extracted to XML by an object extractor they had to code specifically for that view (argh!!! biting my nails...), then the XML had to be finally reparsed back by an FTP object sender which would send it it (argh again!!!). My initial request for simply opening a port to get the customer to directly give access to the view being denied for obscure reasons, I looked for a way to ease the pain and discovered these libraries. Since the compress and sendftp libraries were already *understood* by the engine, it finally took me 5 lines of code to set up the process while OO coders were (and are) still drawing ERD's to code the two classes
(XMLextractor and ObjectSender)../here

http://sqlsharp.com/

I thought some may be interested (there so few tools out there)..Regards...

Note: I am not promoting this tool. Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 00:48:33 CEST

Original text of this message