Re: How does one model behavior?

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:34:37 GMT

"Leslie Sanford" <jabberdabber_at_bitemehotmail.com> wrote in message news:47fce12c$0$11322$4c368faf_at_roadrunner.com...

> "David Cressey" wrote:
> > "Leslie Sanford" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> when designing a class I decide what it needs to do,
> >> and this goes hand in hand with what it needs to know in order to do
it.
> >> To me it's like working with algorithms (or behavior) and data
structures
> >> (or data). I can't say if one comes before the other.
> >
> >> Could be my head is stuck at the code level which is where I mainly
live
> >> and I don't understand what it is you're asking. In which case, I
welcome
> >> enlightenment/clarification.
> >>
> > Sorry. I don't know enough OO to provide enlightenment. I understand
> > data pretty well.
> >
> > Perhaps you could tell me how you express "what a class has to do".
This
> > might be close to what I'm asking for when I say "how to you model
> > behavior".
>
> Well, I do it in code.

How well does this scale up?

> If we want to go further, we could specify the pre/post conditions of this
> message. How strongly this can be expressed in code depends on the
> programming language.
>
> At any rate, for me, this is how it works. I don't use UML or any kind of
> notation to design my classes. I do it in code. I may sit down and draw
out
> a state transition diagram for a class. But that's about it.

State transition diagram speakes to the question I was really asking.

A model doesn't have to be elaborate in order to be useful.

In data modeling, what is left out of the model sometimes makes the model more useful for its intended purpose. Received on Wed Apr 09 2008 - 18:34:37 CEST

Original text of this message