Re: Business Rules

From: Lars Tackmann <ltackmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:42:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 4:12 pm, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNena..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 6:50 am, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNena..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In practice, there is a lot of technical details to work out no matter
> > what approach would you take, being that constraint enforcement via
> > triggers or via ANSI SQL style assertions (implemeted as check
> > constraints on materialized views).
>
> Perhaps I can suggest some literature.
>
> "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals" by Lex de Haan & Toon
> Koppelaars covers a lot of material on constraints. Frankly, I don't
> see the point of their constraint classification scheme based on
> constraint appearance. Database wide constraint is an equation/
> inequality involving more than one relation, single relation wide
> constraint refer to a sinle relvar. Tuple-level constraints can be
> identified if we operate expression on relational calculus level, but
> not RA?
>
> "SQL Design Patterns: Expert Guide to SQL Programming" by Vadim
> Tropashko contains a chapter on constraint enforcement via ANSI SQL
> style assertions implemeted as check
> constraints on materialized views.
>
> (I picture Joe Celko reading this and feverishly starting typing a new
> book about constraints. BTW, "Thinking in Sets" -- nice title!)

Thanks to all posters for the suggestions, of particular interest was the book titles. I know I
am not going to find the one solution to conquer all business rules, but hopefully I can learn
how to stay out of the spaghetti mess of application/database logic I so often face whenever I
see such rules implemented in real life.

--
Lars Tackmann