Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Patrick May <pjm_at_spe.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:08:36 -0400

frebe <frebe73_at_gmail.com> writes:

>> > But it is still a particular logical schema.
>>
>> So what? The particular implementation of the application
>> sees a particular schema. Whatever you call it, it changes for
>> different reasons than the application implementation and at
>> different rates.
>
> That claim is repeated many times, but still not proven.

     Your lack of experience with or refusal to recognize those types of changes do not constitute a refutation of them.

> If you use an OOPL this might be true, since objects used as data
> structures differs from relations. When I realized this and stopped
> using objects as data structures, life is so much better...
[ snip ]
> Not all SQL databases supports updatable views in a good way. Some
> products also supports views backed up by a stored procedure. I
> would say that views, when availible, are universally applicable.
[ snip ]
> Why is the relational model not the most expressive and usabel form
> in that example?
[ snip ]
> A DAG can obviously be represented as a set of tuples. The same
> applies to queues, stacks or maps, even though I can't really see
> why you need a low-level data structure like a map, when relations
> are availible.

     These four quotes indicate that we're not going to make any progress in this discussion. In my experience, relations are not the be all and end all of data representations. Clearly, in your experience they are. I don't believe we have the common ground to progress. The last word is yours.

Sincerely,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO
                       | systems design and implementation.
          pjm_at_spe.com  | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)