Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:28:46 +0100

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:42:44 -0700 (PDT), frebe wrote:

>>      The claim that the application can't do translations is
>> incorrect, on its face.  SQL isn't going to return DAGs, or even
>> queues, stacks, or maps.

> A DAG can obviously be represented as a set of tuples.

LOL. For that matter, a DAG can be represented by a natural number. This by no means imply that ALU were operating DAGs, or that the ADD instruction would return DAGs. You could certainly represent DAG by used paper cups...

> The same
> applies to queues, stacks or maps, even though I can't really see why
> you need a low-level data structure like a map, when relations are
> availible.

Because an algebraic structure is not just a set. Isomorphism of elements does not make algebraic structures same. Is it so difficult to grasp?

P.S. To the list of problems I put before you to solve:

(Message ID: 16zwfmkrguxvp.xiq5rgz36sbc.dlg_at_40tude.net)

  1. Let G be a DAG. Compute G* (transitive closure).
--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov