Re: OT: amazon recommends:

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:42:08 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 mar, 20:08, Rob <rmpsf..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 12:03 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:> Hey all,
>
> > I buy stuff on Amazon. You know the way Amazon
> > sees what you buy and makes recommendations?
> > Sometimes you get these odd juxtapositions.
>
> Here's an opportunity for all cdt poster children to show how much
> their database expertise can contribute to the refinement of just such
> recommender systems:
>
> http://www.netflixprize.com/index

Pathetic. How to motivate people to work for free by putting miserable incentive.
The state of the database design quality in in such state of decay that they now need to organize contests for winning free t-shirts to get a decent design.

Question is : How much money will be gained from selling the search engine technology to big companies.

Notice also the despising and patronizing tone (*poster children*)

Sickenning....