Re: Object-relational impedence

From: S Perryman <q_at_q.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:19:58 +0000

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:52:37 +0000, S Perryman wrote:

>>Perhaps even Dijkstra himself said this.

C> *CS is as much about computers then Astronomy is about telescopes*

>>Astronomy without telescopes is merely staring into the night sky.

> Dijkstra should have said "Astrology"...

> Probably another his citation may apply here, that about BASIC.

Actually, the exact quote should be :

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."

  1. He couldn't even get that right (in addition to his botch job in attempting to use the quote as "appeal to authority" for his rather silly rhetoric) .
  2. It could be considered quite arrogant to think oneself "smart enough" to change Dijkstras' original quote. Not that Cimode would of course be foolish enough to do that (or accuse others similarly) ...

> It looks
> that exposure to SQL causes similar effects. Or, is it abstraction [away]
> of logical model went too far? So far that some of our honored posters from
> c.d.t. (surely otherwise sensible and intelligent gentlemen) just do not
> notice their fingers keeping on typing nothing but "fool", "idiot",
> "moron."

Well "typing Tourettes" (as I call it) seems to be a trait of certain people (there are non c.d.t denizens who suffer it too) .

> Is it a necessary part of data-centric view not to care about oneself's
> behavior?

> P.S. Give up Steve. You have already invested much time in order to educate
> our topmind, unfortunately against his will, and, alas, without sustainable
> effects. But he at least has manners acceptable out of sty...

You know, as much as Topmind is just polluting effluent in the comp.object stream, there are times when his jibes/insults/etc are actually quite funny. Certainly more imagination (that figures :-) ) in there than "moron" and "Pffft" anyway.

Regards,
Steven Perryman Received on Mon Mar 17 2008 - 16:19:58 CET

Original text of this message