Re: Object-relational impedence

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:55:07 GMT

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:91bde948-ba10-4b4f-924e-0eb9a6397dad_at_s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> Objects
> cannot be understood outside the computational machine in which they
> are defined.

I think the following is a brilliant handle on my difficulties with OO. It suggests an inherent impasse in systems integration. When two or more independently constructed systems are called upon to be used together in the construction of a larger system, something of value has to be passed between the systems.

For the data-centric thinker, that something is obvious: data.

Database thinking and database work lead naturally towards the idea of larger scale integration. I am not certain how it plays out for systems made up of objects. Perhaps a single integrated computational machine has to be defined for the entire system, and objects that had been implemented in the disjoint systems have to be reimplemented. But I'm a long way from concluding that this is either necessary or advisable. Received on Mon Mar 17 2008 - 12:55:07 CET

Original text of this message