Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:16:29 -0800 (PST)

Robert Martin wrote:
> On 2008-03-04 00:15:44 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:
>

> > Robert Martin wrote:

> >> It means that you don't use the database for *all* application logic.
> >> Consider, for example, determining the simplest travel schedule for 100
> >> sales people visiting 500 cities. You wouldn't want to write that
> >> algorithm in SQL. And you'd want to test it against many different
> >> data regimes. Testing it without the database in place could be useful.
> >>

> > You are fishing a bit here. Existing RDBMS generally don't work that
> > well with graph-traversal problems, and it is indeed a known weakness
> > of the existing crop.
>
> I wasn't trying to pick on any kind of "known weakness". So let's say
> we want to send email to certain salesmen, or check the DMV web service
> for certain license numbers, or (I actually had a student in a class
> who's job it was to do this) sound the early warning siren at
> particular times.

It depends on what interface these services or organizations offer. If they don't offer an RDB interface (like SQL) into them, then we are pretty much stuck with what they use (other than putting wrappers around them using our fav paradigms/langs).

> --
> Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)��| email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com

-T- Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 22:16:29 CET

Original text of this message