Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Thomas Gagne <>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:08:33 -0500

Why not create the functions on-the-fly? Or handle exceptions for unknown methods and use the DB's catalog and descriptors?

Additionally, I think the myriad of combinations is a straw-man. Every application isn't a report writer. Applications follow business rules, and business rules are necessarily finite--otherwise they wouldn't be rules.

Considering that, I think using more of the DB's features (views, procedures) as the primary pathway into and out of the database and as a mechanism for expressing and preserving business rules yields the greatest benefit for developers--regardless which programming language or paradigm is used for applications.

Visit <> to read
my rants on technology and the finance industry.  Visit
<> for politics, society and culture.