Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:19:59 -0600

On 2008-03-04 17:29:01 -0600, TroyK <cs_troyk_at_juno.com> said:

> On Mar 3, 3:11 pm, Robert Martin <uncle..._at_objectmentor.com> wrote:

>> On 2008-03-03 12:29:02 -0600, TroyK <cs_tr..._at_juno.com> said:
>>
>>> My experience is somewhere between 2 and 3 orders of magnitude
>>> difference between implementing a business rules change in the db vs.
>>> the programming team doing it in OO code.
>>
>> Then you should be able to fly rings around the programmers and get
>> them all fired.  Why haven't you?

> If by "fly rings around the programmers" you mean having a fully
> functioning reference implementation up and running in SQL within 2
> weeks that ends up taking a team of 3 programmers over 3 months to
> implement in code, then, yeah, I guess I do. But the architecture
> called for the programming to be done in a business layer implemented
> in C# -- we expected and planned for that, so, happily, no one gets
> fired.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that you blithely allowed your organization to expend nine man months of fruitless labor? Or are you saying that there was no way your SQL "reference implementation" could have been used in production?

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com