Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:45:11 +0100

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:54:16 -0600, Robert Martin wrote:

> On 2008-03-03 11:36:50 -0600, "David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> said:
>

>> There is, however, a different level of abstraction where an RDB is
>> two-dimensional.  So Tom is not "wrong" all the way.  And it may be at that
>> level of abstraction where the OO RM impedance match comes about.

> I don't know. Computer memory is one-dimensional.

(I remotely remember some early works on associative memory. A spatial memory would be very interesting to have.)

I think that probably more important was that an execution path is single dimensional and that many algorithms require existence of an order (that includes the algorithms used in RDBMS). The balance could change, for example under super parallel architectures. In a molecular computer a CPU might become cheaper than a memory cell...

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov