Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:43:46 -0000

"Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message news:2008030315573622503-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom...
> On 2008-03-03 12:08:39 -0600, "Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
> said:
>
>> However I notice that I am surrounded by programmers who consume most
>> the development budget writing code, and when a change request comes
>> along I
>> can accommodate it in the database in minutes and they spend months
>> spewing
>> out more code (sometimes after doing an extensive and expensive impact
>> assessment). Code may not be evil, but it sure has a case to answer.
>
> Silly developers and DBAs always have a case to answer. Their tools are
> innocent.

I admit I am just being provocative, so I probably deserve a baffling non sequiter as a response. However you seem to be claiming that code doesn't routinely take weeks and months to write (which is what I assume you mean when you say the tools are innocent). That is nonsense, of course.

> BTW, "minutes"? "weeks"? Why didn't you make the change in "minutes" and
> demonstrate it while everybody else was still working on the impact
> analysis?

Well if I had something better than an improvised ad hoc language that has its roots in the late 1960s and early 1970s, which offers me a collection of datatypes barely richer than those of FORTRAN IV, I might have done. But as long as most people think writing procedural code at the speed of human fingers is all we can reasonably aspire to, I won't be getting anything better to work with.

Roy Received on Mon Mar 03 2008 - 23:43:46 CET

Original text of this message