Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:18:07 -0400

andrew queisser wrote:

> "Patrick May" <pjm_at_spe.com> wrote in message news:m2fxvb1gcn.fsf_at_spe.com...
>

>>Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> writes:

>>>If I am going to take you to task for overbroad claims, I feel some
>>>responsibility as well to point out when you are being too
>>>modest. Your second sentence quoted above is an understatement to a
>>>significant degree.
>>>
>>>As an aside, I can say from a fair bit of experience that LISPers
>>>and Relational folk are among the most ornery around. However when
>>>one is debating with a LISPer one at least has the benefit of
>>>knowing one is likely arguing with a worthy opponent.
>>
>> I'm somewhat bemused by the immediate antagonism exhibited by the
>>c.d.t. folks towards anyone who thinks that OO is anything other than
>>pure snake oil. I was around for the industry transition to OO (I
>>probably still have my Zortech C++ manuals somewhere). Most of the
>>experienced developers I know and prefer to work with understand the
>>costs and benefits of both technologies.
>>
>> It sounds like some of you from c.d.t. have had to deal with a
>>surfeit of Java weenies. I eliminate them early in the hiring process
>>with the question "What do you like best about Java and what would you
>>change if you could?" Anyone who doesn't spend 90% of his or her
>>response time on the second half of the question is out the door.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Patrick
>
> People who refer to Codd as Dr. Codd should also be viewed with suspicion.

I tend to agree that Codd showed the same sort of genius as Einstein, and as such should receive the same sort of honorific in that his name stands alone. Ditto for Dijkstra, Hoare, Wirth etc.

However, I don't know that refering to Codd as Dr. Codd is all that suspicious. Received on Sat Mar 01 2008 - 02:18:07 CET

Original text of this message