Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:10:18 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 29, 9:54 am, Patrick May <p..._at_spe.com> wrote:
> Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The goal is not the issue. You described in general terms an
> > impossible task that you said it was possible (even desirable!)
> > to do.
>
> No, I explained a technique that is used frequently by software
> developers familiar with OO.

You specifically said "decouple." You didn't say "reduce coupling" or any such qualified term, you said "decouple." You may have some specific technique used frequently etc. etc. that even has some merit, but the specific terms you used cannot describe such a thing, because you described an impossibility.

> > I merely present a specific impossible instance of the general thing
> > you claim is possible.
>
> You presented, well, nonsense.

Yes, exactly. The specific instance of your general formula that I presented was nonsense.

> ... but your silly example has nothing
> to do with what I wrote ...

On the contrary: I followed your prescription quite closely, down to using the very terms you used.

You gave the general formula:

  "decouple application code and database schema"

I provided a specific instance of that formula:

  "decouple content management application code   from general ledger database schema"

If you want to claim what I said is unrelated to what you said, then you must claim that "content management application code" is not an example of "application code" or you must claim that "general ledger database schema" is not an example of "database schema", or both.

Or perhaps your general statement was overbroad, and there is coupling between application code and schema after all.

Marshall Received on Fri Feb 29 2008 - 20:10:18 CET

Original text of this message