Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:00:47 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 3:16 pm, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNena..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 3:09 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 1:28 pm, topmind <topm..._at_technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > > A "simple" API is going to replace a sophisticated and powerful query
> > > language? I don't think so.
>
> > I'm going to write a quick API (not too many classes with not too
> > many methods each) that will enable me to swap out C++ for LISP.
>
> Object independence is considered a good idea.

I don't just want *object* independence. If all I could do with my API was swap out one OO programming language for another, that would be insufficient. The choice of computational model is a detail, the choice of which should be deferred as long as possible; a dependency which software should be fully insulated from.

My API should be able to support backends that are functional programming languages or logic languages, not just object languages.

Marshall Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 02:00:47 CET

Original text of this message