Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:29:07 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 23, 6:57 pm, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNena..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 9:14 pm, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
>
> > [Value]
> > "A value is unique, eternal, immutable, and is not
> > fixed in time or space (it has no address)."
> > - Darren Duncan
>
> There are no concept of value in math. It operates exclusive lt with
> variables and constants.
> Values were invented by computer buffs who
> tend to confuse and overcomplicate things.

Not strictly true (apart from the computer buffs generally overcomplicating things...) - the term "value" has been used in maths for centuries, according to the OED at least. I've seen varying uses in maths and the sciences:

  1. The precise number or amount represented by a figure, quantity, etc.
  2. The output of a function
  3. A literal