Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:01:44 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 22, 9:14 pm, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
>
> > THAT is a definition.
>
> How can I rephrase this to qualify to your standards of what a
> definition is?:
>
> [Value]
> "A value is unique, eternal, immutable, and is not
> fixed in time or space (it has no address)."
> - Darren Duncan
>
> Ok, ok. I'll unhide my hidden agenda: nobody responded
> my proposal for the glossary until now :-)
>
> Any more silence I'll consider as approval.

Hmmm. Well, this unfortunately isn't just a matter of phrasing. A set of descriptive qualities is not a definition.

Unfortunately where "value" is concerned, it is often the most low-level terms that are the hardest to define. By way of example, I'm paying a modest amount of attention to set theory lately, and it uses terms like "set" and the membership relation but explicitly does not define them.

For what it's worth, lately when I think of "value", I just think "a member of a set."

Marshall Received on Sat Feb 23 2008 - 07:01:44 CET

Original text of this message