Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:49:46 -0600

On 2008-02-21 14:56:14 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

>> Are you suggesting that the source code that implements data driven
>> applications doesn't have dependencies that need managing?
>
> No. Most non-trivial software has tons of dependencies.

Agreed. OO is a tool that helps manage those dependencies by allowing certain function calls to be made indirectly.

>> Or are you
>> suggesting that the indirection of OO is not effective at managing
>> such dependencies.
>>
>> Either position is absurd on the face of it.
>
> If OO can be good at managing dependencies of data-driven
> applications, then I have not seen a good coded biz example of it.

Actually, I think you have already named some examples. Using a dummy database for testing, for example. Not that you MUST use OO for these things; but often you can, and often it is convenient.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com