Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:47:46 -0600

On 2008-02-20 10:20:47 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

>>> Yes, but behavior tends to be "neutered" in data-driven apps such that
>>> OO's change-handling techniques are less useful there.

>> <<quasi-political metaphor elided>>
>>
>> That's not the point.  The point is that wherever there is code there
>> are dependencies that need to be managed, and OO is a useful tool that
>> helps with that management.
>
> I'll believe it when I see semi-realistic code examples for data-
> driven apps.

Are you suggesting that the source code that implements data driven applications doesn't have dependencies that need managing? Or are you suggesting that the indirection of OO is not effective at managing such dependencies.

Either position is absurd on the face of it.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com
The Agile Transition Experts  | web:   www.objectmentor.com
800-338-6716                  |